This is a Hakka favourite kueh, 'Choi Ban' Choi means vegetable and Ban means cake or kueh in Hakka. The skin is made of rice flour and filling is stir fry of bang kuang and dried shrimp savoury taste. The filling can be a variety of salted vegetable with yellow bean curd, chives with yellow bean curd and leek with yellow bean curd all are in stir fry style.
客家菜板,是客家人的最爱,用粘米粉做皮而馅料是沙渇和虾皮,咸香味道很好. 也有咸菜炒黄豆干或韭菜炒黄豆干或 ...黄豆干...炒 蒜. '菜板' 是客家话意思是'菜糕' 馅料都有菜类的搭配.
~this is the ready warpped Choi Ban, arranged neatly in a tray...
Choi Ban filling....菜板馅:
400g sengkuang~peeled and shredded...豆署去皮切丝
2 tbsp fish sauce...大匙鱼露
1 big onion..大粒洋葱
2 tbsp dried shrimp..大匙虾皮/米
1/2 tsp salt...小匙盐
dashes of pepper..少许胡椒粉
1) In a wok add in some cooking oil saute big onion, dried shrimp till it is fragrance.
2) Add in sengkuang, stir fried till it is soften, add in fish sauce, pepper and salt. Dish up and set aside for later use.
2) 加入豆薯炒熟,加入,鱼露,胡椒粉和盐拌均. 备用.
Choi Ban Skin ingredients...菜板皮材料:
300g rice flour...粘米粉
1 tsp salt... 小 匙盐
2 tbsp cooking oil and 2 tbsp extra...2 大匙食油 + 2 大匙食油
1) Mix all ingredients together, this mixture will be watery and runny.
2) Cook it on low heat until the mixture thicken and leave the side of the pan.(stir constantly to prevent mixture from burn)
3) Let it cool, knead it with the extra 2 tbsp cooking oil into a pliable dough.
4) Divide the dough into small balls of 25g per portion. Flatten the dough and wrapped in a tablespoon of filling. Fold up, sealed the edges.
5) Arrange the Choi Ban neatly in a greased with cooking oil tray.
6) Steam over rolling boil water for 10 minutes.
7) Brush cooking oil on the Choi Ban once it is cokked. Serve hot.
~Steamed Choi Ban ...菜板蒸好了~
1) 把所有的材料拌均匀. 拌好的面糊是水水的.
3) 待冷, 把煮熟的面糊加入2大匙食油,搓均.
4) 分割成每粒25克. 搓圆,压平扁,包入馅料,对褶封口.
~once it is cooked brush some cooking oil on the surface to prevent the Choi Ban from sticking to each other ...蒸好了即刻涂上油, 防黏.
The switch up of the Choi Ban dough...菜板面团的变身...^^
The is another Hakka favourite. This is Tao Kueh, Tao means peach..peach for chinese mean longevity, long life. Hakka people give this to friends and relative on special occasion like married, full moon and old folks birthday celebration.
The skin ingredients for this Tao Ban/Kueh is the same as Choi Ban above. Only add a few drop of pink colouring into the dough to make it pink. As for the filling is peanuts. Roast or plain stir fried the peanuts and blend it finely and add salt to taste.
~Tao Ban that is knocked out from the tao mould...桃板模和用模子印出的桃板~
桃板的皮料是跟菜板的皮料一样的. 只需加一点分红色素搓均就可以了. 馅料是咸花生. 把花生仁炒或烤香, 再用搅拌器搅碎加少许盐, 备用. 桃板许蒸12分钟.
~蒸好,刷上少许食油...once is cooked, brush a thin layer of cooking oil~